Wolverine (superhero)Wolverine (real name James Logan Howlett) is a fictional character in the Marvel Comics comic book universe. He made his first appearance as a Canadian superhero fighting the anti-hero known as The Incredible Hulk. He was known as "Weapon X" back then. Since then, he has had a long and varied career, most notably working with The X-Men.
Wolverine is a mutant with a number of enhancements to his physiology. Wolverine possesses heightened senses, making him capable of seeing things at a maximum distance greater than that of a normal human. His hearing is enhanced in a similar manner, and he is able to recognize people and objects by scent, even if that person or object is hidden. Logan can use these enhanced senses to track anyone, with an impressive degree of success. Wolverine possesses retractable bone claws that are housed in his forearms. At will Wolverine can release these claws through his skin between the knuckles on each hand. The skin between the knuckles tears and bleeds, but bleeding is quickly halted by his healing factor. The claws are naturally sharp and tougher than that of normal human bone structure. This allows Wolverine to be able to cut through most types of flesh and natural materials. (Note: While Wolverine possessed his adamantium skeleton, his claws were able to cut through almost any material without any fear of damage to the claws.) Lastly, Wolverine possesses an accelerated healing factor based on his physiology. While most normal humans heal injuries over a long period of time, Wolverine's healing factor speeds up that natural process. Wolverine's natural healing has been advanced to the point where he can heal extensive injuries (such as broken limbs) in a matter of hours to days. This factor gives him a higher resistance to poisons and toxins, and he can recover from almost any injury. The more extensive the injury, the longer the healing time will be. Wolverine is not immortal, however. If the injuries are extensive enough, especially if they result in the loss of vital organs, large amounts of blood, and/or loss of physical form (such as having flesh burned away by fire or acid), Logan can die. Wolverine, again due to his healing factor, has an enhanced resistance to disease, as well as an extended life span. Despite Wolverine's chronological age, he is still as healthy and physically fit as a man in his prime.
Wolverine is renowned for his gruffness and sheer savagery. He's one of the few X-Men who has no compunctions about killing and has been frequently at odds with his fellow teammates. He also has a dark past that involves the Canadian government and its superhero team, Alpha Flight, and some of the X-Men's biggest foes.
He was also (at one point in time) in love with Jean Grey.
His voice was provided by Cathal J. Dodd in the X-Men animated television series, and in a series of video games through the 1990s. In the animated television series X-Men: Evolution, his voice was provided by Scott McNeil.
VITAL STATISTICS OF WOLVERINE
- Name: Logan, possibly James Howlett
- Aliases: Weapon X, Patch
- Height: 5' 3"
- Weight: 300 lbs. (195 lbs plus skeleton)
- Eyes: Brown
- Hair: Dark
- Intelligence Level- Above Normal or Greater
- Strength Level- Enhanced Human (can military press 800 lbs.)
- Reflexes- Enhanced Human
- Agility- Enhanced Human
- Endurance- Superhuman Regenerative
- Stamina- Metahuman
- Speed- Athlete
- Special Skills and Abilities- Speaks over a dozen languages fluently. Skilled pilot. Skilled in virtually all fighting styles known on Earth. Extensively trained in covert operations such as assassination, computer hacking, and survelliance. These abilities suggest high intelligence and keen intuitive powers.
- Special Powers: Possesses an unbreakable skeleton reinforced with adamantium and 6 retractable adamantium claws (3 on each hand) that can cut through any substance. Adamantium is a significant advantage in that it is virtually unbreakable. Additionally, a blow from Wolverine is weighted (like being struck by a steel pipe). Superhuman regenerative healing factor allows for Wolverine to heal from injuries nearly instantaneously. He is immune to poisons, disease, and natural fatigue. The aging process is retarded in his physiology to an unknown extent, resulting in extended longevity. It has been speculated that he is older than 180 years. Possesses olfactory sense only slightly less developed than that of Daredevil, as such Wolverine can track a human as a dog could, and can see in the dark.