There are 9 species in three genera:
- The 4 green kingfishers (Megaceryle) have a wide distribution in Africa, Asia and America. The Belted Kingfisher, M. alcyon, is the only kingfisher that is widespread in North America, though two of the tropical American species range as far noth as Texas and Arizona.
- Giant Kingfisher, Megaceryle maxima
- Crested Kingfisher, Megaceryle lugubris
- Belted Kingfisher, Megaceryle alcyon
- Ringed Kingfisher, Megaceryle torquata
- The Pied Kingfisher (Ceryle rudis), is widespread in the tropical regions of the Old World.
- The 4 crested kingfishers (Chloroceryle) of tropical America.
- Amazon Kingfisher, Chloroceryle amazona
- Green Kingfisher, Chloroceryle americana
- Green-and-rufous Kingfisher, Chloroceryle inda
- American Pygmy Kingfisher, Chloroceryle aenea