University of StrathclydeThe University of Strathclyde originated as Anderson's Institution in 1796. Its establishment was based on the vision of John Anderson, professor of Natural Philosophy at Glasgow University who left instructions in his will for a university open to everyone regardless of gender or class. The university's main campus is located in the heart of the city, near George Square and it has an education campus in the suburb of Jordanhill at the site of the previous Jordanhill Teacher Training College.
Significant dates and predecessor institutions in the evolution of the present university are:
- Anderson's University - 1828
- Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College - 1887
- Royal Technical College - 1912
- Royal College of Science and Technology - 1956
- Merger with Scottish College of Commerce - 1964
- University of Strathclyde - 1964
- Merger with Jordanhill College of Education - 1993
The university has developed its reputation and grown from approximately 4,000 full-time students in 1964 to over 20,000 students in 2003.