The region is named after the Uecker river, which is a tributary of the Oder. Its source is close to Angermünde, from where it runs northward to Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. The Oder river, forming the Polish border, bounds the district in the east. The district is characterised by 600 lakes and 2800 km of rivers. Rare animals still live in the lakeland: ospreys, beavers and otters.
Uckermark was always a sparsely populated region. From the 6th to the 12th century Slavic peoples settled in the area; then invaders from Brandenburg came to Uckermark and founded castles and towns. In medieval times the region was claimed by Pomerania and Mecklenburg. In 1479 a treaty awarded Uckermark once and for all to Brandenburg.
Towns in the district: Angermünde, Prenzlau, Schwedt, Templin, Lychen.
The western parts of the Lower Oder Valley National Park (Nationalpark Unteres Odertal) are located in Uckermark.