Tinfoil hatHumorists have created the term tinfoil hat to describe headgear lined with aluminium foil, worn by eccentrics to keep out imagined mind-controlling radiation.
Other stereotypical paranoid concepts include:
- inflated self-importance (delusion of grandeur);
- ideas of reference that link seemingly unrelated news events into a larger, typically conspiratorial plan;
- Black helicopters and other mass surveillance;
- Persecution from powerful adversaries such as UFOs, the Men in Black, secret societies or demons;
- conspiracy theories;
- fear of adulterated food (e.g., aspartame) or water (e.g., fluoridation) as part of some sort of secret plot.