Swiss Federal CouncilThe Swiss Federal Council (in German: Bundesrat, in French: Conseil fédéral, in Italian: Consiglio federale) is the seven-member executive council which collectively assumes the office of head of state equivalent to that of a president or of a monarch in the government of Switzerland.
The current members of the Swiss Federal Council (2003)
Each of the seven Federal Councillors heads a department:
- Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (Micheline Calmy-Rey)
- Federal Department of Home Affairs (Pascal Couchepin)
- Federal Department of Justice and Police (Ruth Metzler-Arnold)
- Federal Department of Defence, Civil Protection and Sports (Samuel Schmid)
- Federal Department of Finance (Kaspar Villiger)
- Federal Department of Economic Affairs (Joseph Deiss)
- Federal Department of Environment, Transport, Energy and Communications (Moritz Leuenberger)
- List of members of the Swiss Federal Council (1848-present)
- List of Presidents of the Swiss Confederation
- Swiss Federal Council - Official site.