StabilityThe word stability has a number of technical meanings, all related to the common meaning of the word.
- In mechanics, stability characterizes the result of small perturbations to a system in mechanical equilibrium.
- In system analysis and signal processing, stability means either:
- BIBO (Bounded Input, Bounded Output) stability
- Lyapunov stability
- In control theory, stability characterizes the reaction of a dynamic system to external influences.
- In numerical analysis, stability refers to how well an algorithm performs with regard to error in the numerical results: see numerical stability.
- In everyday conversation about computers, stability refers to the tendency or otherwise of a system or program to crash.