SixSix (6) is the natural number following five and preceding seven.
Six is the second smallest composite number, its proper divisors being 1, 2 and 3. Since six equals the sum of these proper divisors, six is a perfect number. The next perfect number is 28. Six is also a highly composite number. The next highly composite number is twelve.
Hexa is Greek for "six". As such:
- A hexagon is a six-sided polygon.
- A hexahedron is a polyhedron with six faces, with a cube being a special case.
- A hexapod is an animal with six legs; this includes all insects.
- Hexameter is a poetic form consisting of six feet per line.
Six is also:
- Number Six was the main character in the television series The Prisoner.
- "Six Geese a Laying".
- One of the Winnie the Pooh books was entitled Now We Are Six
- A 'six' is a shot in cricket such that the ball clears the boundary without bouncing.
- A 'six' is the name of the smallest group of Cub Scouts, traditionally consisting of six people and is led by a 'sixer'. Logically speaking, this isn't always the case, particularly in packs with less than 6 Cub Scouts in it.
- The number of musicians in a sextet.
- 666 is considered the Number of the Beast.
See also: four, five, six, seven, eight, integer, list of numbers.
This article is about the number. For the year AD 6, see 6.