San Francisco (movie)The 1906 San Francisco earthquake is the historical background for this 1936 movie romance between a gambling hall tycoon, played by Clark Gable, and a promising but poor singer. The then very popular singing voice of Jeanette MacDonald in the female lead was bound to make this film into a hit. The title song was composed by Walter Jurmann.
The movie was successful in receiving only a single Oscar:
- Best Sound, Recording - Douglas Shearer (M-G-M SSD)
- Best Picture - John Emerson and Bernard H. Hyman, producers
- Best Actor in a Leading Role - Spencer Tracy
- Best Assistant Director - Joseph M. Newman
- Best Director - W.S. Van Dyke
- Best Writing, Original Story - Robert E. Hopkins