RacingA race is a competition of speed. The competitors in any race try to complete a given task in the shortest amount of time. Typically, this involves traversing some distance most quickly, but can be just about any other task.
A race to cover a certain distance may be almost any length, and using any means stipulated by the rules of the race. Running a certain distance is the template of racing, but races are often conducted in vehicles, such as boats and carss.
A race and its name are often associated with the place of origin, the means of transport and the distance of the race. As a couple of examples, see the Paris-Dakar rally or the Athens marathon.
Types of Racing
Here is a list of some common and not so common forms of racing.Bicycles, is known as Cycling
- Track cycling such as a Points race
- Road cycling such as the Tour de France
- Offroad cycling or Mountain bicycling
- Camel racing
- Chariot racing
- Greyhound racing
- Equestrian sports
- Horse-racing, see also United Kingdom horse-racing
- Pigeon racing
- Pig racing
- Auto racing (also known as automobile racing, motor racing or autosport)
- Kart racing
- Motorcycle racing such as the Isle of Man TT
- Dragon Boat Racing
- Jet sprint boat racing
- Offshore powerboat racing
- Sailing or Yacht racing also Match race such as America's Cup races or Team Racing.