Museum of Science and IndustryThe Museum of Science and Industry is located in Chicago, Illinois in Hyde ParkIl. It is housed in the only surviving building from the 1893 World Columbian Exposition, the former Fine Arts Building.
During the early years of the twentieth century, the Fine Arts Building was refurbished for museum use by Julius Rosenwald, who insisted his name not appear on the building. In 1933, when Chicago was hosting the Century of Progress, the Museum of Science and Industry opened to the public.
Many of the museum exhibits are interactive, ranging from the Hall of Communications which explains telephony to the coal mine, which re-creates a mine inside the museum. The museum houses the U-505, the only German submarine captured in World War II, silent film actress Colleen Moore's dollhouse and the Transportation Zone which includes exhibits on air and land transportation.
The Henry Crown Space Center at the Museum of Science and Industry includes the Apollo 8 capsule which took Frank Borman, James Lovell and William Anders on the first lunar orbital mission. Other exhibits include an Omnimax theater, Scott Carpenter's Mercury capsule, a Lunar Module trainer and a life-size mockup of a space shuttle.
In addition to its three floors of standing exhibits, the Museum of Science and Industry also hosts temporary and traveling exhibits. In 2000, it created and hosted the largest display of relics from the Titanic.