Municipalities in the NetherlandsAll provinces of the Netherlands are divided into municipalities (gemeenten), together 489; among these we can distinguish:
- those comprising one main city, town or village with the same name as the municipality, and possibly some additional villages; for example
- those comprising several villages, none with the name of the municipality; in that case the name of the municipality may not be as well-known outside it as the villages; for example:
- Albrandswaard comprising the villages of Poortugaal and Rhoon.
- those with a double name, comprising (mainly) the two towns or villages in the name, for example:
- Berkel en Rodenrijs, comprising the villages Berkel and Rodenrijs.
- those comprising a main town and additional villages, yet the municipality is not named after this town; for example:
All municipalities are listed in the province articles, see:
- North Brabant
- North Holland
- South Holland