|Pop. density:||120 inh./km²|
Lopburi (Thai ลพบุรี) is one of the central provinces (changwat) of Thailand. Neighboring provinces are (from north clockwise) Phetchabun, Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Ratchasima, Saraburi, Ayutthaya, Ang Thong, Sing Buri and Nakhon Sawan.
|Table of contents|
4 Administrative divisions
5 External links
Lopburi probably dates back to prehistoric times. During the Dvaravati period (6th to 11th century) it was called Lavo. The Khmer erased the traces of the previous rulers, and built many impressive temples. Lopburi might have liberated itself from the Khmer rulership at least temporarily, as it sent independent embassies to China twice in 1115 and 1155. In 1289 it sent an embassy again, but then soon became associated with the Thai kingdom Sukhothai and later Ayutthaya. King Narai of Ayutthaya made Lopburi the second capital of the country in middle of the 17th century as Ayutthaya was threatened by the Dutch.
The provincial seal shows King Narai in front of the Khmer temple Phra Prang Sam Yod.|
The provincial tree as well as the provincial flower is the Bullet Wood (Mimusops elengi).