Kennedy familyThe Kennedy family is an influential political family in the United States, known for its liberal politics. Perhaps the best known Kennedy is the late President of the United States John F. Kennedy. Actor and Califoria Governor-elect Arnold Schwarzenegger is associated with the Kennedy family by his marriage to television journalist Maria Shriver, although he is a Republican.
The Kennedy family is often compared to the Adams family and the Bush family, as among the great American political dynasties. All three families have strong roots in the New England area of the United States.
The dynasty was founded by Patrick J. Kennedy (1858 - 1929) who married Mary Augusta Hickey, by way of their son Joseph P. Kennedy, Sr (1888 - 1969) who married Rose Fitzgerald (1890 - 1995) in 1914. Together Joe Sr. and Rose had nine children:
- Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr (1915 - 1944)
- John Fitzgerald Kennedy (1917 - 1963)
- JFK was a U.S. Congressman, a U.S. Senator and later President. He was assassinated. He married Jacqueline Lee Bouvier and had three children, two of whom survived to adulthood.
- Rosemary Kennedy (born 1918)
- Kathleen Agnes Kennedy (1920 - 1948)
- Kathleen married twice and was killed in a plane crash in Europe. She was known as "Kick."
- Eunice Mary Kennedy (born 1921)
- Patricia Kennedy (born 1924)
- She married Rat Pack actor Peter Lawford and had four children.
- Robert F. Kennedy (1925 - 1968)
- He was Attorney General of the United States in his brother's administration, later served as Senator from New York, and was assassinated while running for President in 1968. He married Ethel Skakel and had 11 children.
- Jean Ann Kennedy (born 1928)
- Jean married and had four children.
- Edward Moore Kennedy (born 1932)