Jordanhill CollegeJordanhill College was the location of the Scottish School of Physical Education, the centre for the training of male specialist physical education teachers in Scotland from 1931 to 1987. It was set up at Jordanhill Training College in Glasgow under the Directorship of F. N. Punchard, who had been appointed to the stuff of Dunfermline College in 1919 and had established successful courses for men. This move was contemporaneous with the founding in England of one-year training courses for men who were already qualified teachers, by the Carnegie Trust at Leeds in 1933. Punchard, who had been a member of the first civilian specialist course in Physical Education in England in 1908, adhered to the Swedish system of gymnastics, and the gymnastic skill and adventure elements of physical education characterized the programmes.
In 1966, Jordanhill College first offered an undergraduate degree in Physical Education via the B.Ed of the University of Glasgow, but the programme was not well suited to the subject. A degreee validated by the Council of National Academic Awards was launched in 1974 and in 1978, the Scottish School started the first in-service B.Ed. degree of any Scottish College of Education.
The contraction of the college system advocated by the Scottish Tertiary Education Advisory Council led to a centralization of Physical Education training in Edinburgh and a merger into Moray House College. However, Jordanhill College retained its diversified undergraduate courses in Sport in the Community and Outdoor Education. It now forms the Facility of Education of Strathclyde University.