Among other things, the codes are used for class="external">[1:
- Federal Express uses the IATA codes, which are the ISO 3166-1 codes, for package shipping
- in postal containers used to exchange mail internationally
- in machine-readable passports, which use the 3 letter codes(ISO/IEC 7501-1
- to identify currencies in international transactions (ISO 4217)
- in the International Securities Identification Number (ISO 6166)
- the top level country domain codes on the internet, which use the 2 character forms
- the U/LOCODEs for international trade to identify ports, customs offices and other sites of interest in trade.
- the WIPO uses them for intellectual property tracking
- ISO 3166-1 codes for country and dependent area names, first published in 1974
- ISO 3166-2 defines codes for the principal subdivisions of a country or dependent area.
- ISO 3166-3 defines codes for superseded ISO 3166-1 codes, first published in 1998.
- http://www.iso.org/i/prods-services/index.html -- The ISO 3166/MA-Secretariat
- http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/codes/country.htm -- Country codes