Gay villageA city's gay village is a district known for having a large queer residential population and/or a concentration of businesses, nightlife, and services for queer populations.
Here is a listing of some gay and lesbian villages:
- New York: Greenwich Village, Chelsea
- San Francisco: The Market District, esp. the Castro
- Washington, DC: Dupont Circle
- Los Angeles: West Hollywood
- Fort Lauderdale: Wilton Manors
- Chicago: Uptown neighborhood, AKA Boys Town
- Boston: South End
- Toronto: Church & Wellesley
- Montreal: Le Village gai (rue Ste-Catherine, centered on Beaudry metro)
- London: in Soho, centered on Old Compton Street.
- Paris: Le Marais
- Madrid: Chueca
- Barcelona: El Gaixample, also around Universitat metro
See also The Village People.