Frankfurt an der Oder
The town of Frankfurt was founded in the 13th century. The early settlers lived on the western banks of the Oder; later the town was extended to the eastern banks (which are today Polish). In late medieval times the town dominated the trade on the river between Wroclaw (Breslau) and Szczecin (Stettin). In 1430 Frankfurt joined the Hanseatic League, but was a member only for a short time.
After World War II Frankfurt was located at the new Polish border; the quarters on the eastern banks became the Polish town of Slubice. Both towns are now in friendly relations and run several common projects and facilities.
Frankfurt housed a university between 1506 and 1811. A new university was opened recently in 1991: the Viadrina University, which is a common German-Polish university.
Do not confuse Frankfurt an der Oder with another city called Frankfurt, the much larger Frankfurt am Main.