Dublin CastleDublin Castle in Dublin in Ireland was the seat of British rule in Ireland until 1922. The building itself mainly dates from eighteenth century, though a castle has stood on the site since the days of King John, the first Lord of Ireland. The Castle served as the seat of British government of Ireland under the Lordship of Ireland (1171-1541), Kingdom of Ireland (1541-1800) and United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (1800-1922).
The Upper Courtyard.
On the left is the state entrance and the Viceregal Apartments. The Irish Crown Jewels were stolen from the building to the right.
Famously, the Irish Crown Jewels were stolen from the Castle in 1907.
The Castle ceased to be used for government purposes when the Irish Free State came into being in 1922. It served for some years as temporary Courts of Justice (the Four Courts, the home of the Irish courts system had been destroyed in 1922.) Once the courts moved out, Dublin Castle was used for state ceremonial. Eamon de Valera as President of the Executive Council on behalf of King George V received credentials from ambassadors to Ireland there in the 1930s. In 1938 it was used for the inauguration of Douglas Hyde as President of Ireland. Inaugurations of subsequent presidents took place there in 1945, 1952, 1959, 1966, 1973, 1974, 1976 1983, 1990 and 1997. President Erskine Hamilton Childers' lying-in-state took place there in November 1974, as did that of former President, Eamon de Valera, in September, 1975.
One of the surviving mediŠval towers
To its left is the Chapel Royal
The crypt of the Chapel Royal is now used as an arts centre, while rock concerts sometimes take place in its grounds. The Castle itself is normally open to the public, except when it is being used for state functions. Among the areas that can be seen are St. Patrick's Hall, a massive ballroom now used for the inauguration of the President of Ireland, the Throne Room, which contains a throne from the reign of King William III at the end of the seventeenth century, and the Viceregal Apartments, including the bedrooms and dining rooms of the Lord Lieutenant and visiting members of the Royal Family. The last person to stay in the royal bedrooms was Margaret Thatcher, who stayed there during the 1979 European Council meeting.