DoxologyA doxology is a hymn sung in praise of the Trinity in various Christian liturgies.
- Gloria Patri, et Filio, et Spiritui Sancto. Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et in sæcula sæculorum, Amen.
- Glory be to the Father
- And to the Son
- And to the Holy Ghost.
- As it was in the beginning,
- Is now, and ever shall be;
- World without end, amen, amen.
- Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;
- Praise Him, all creatures here below;
- Praise Him above, ye Heavenly Host;
- Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
Because most Christian worship services include a doxology, and these hymns therefore were familiar and well-practiced among church choirs, the English word sockdolager arose, a deformation of doxology, which came to mean a "show-stopper," a production number.