Cape of Good HopeThe Cape of Good Hope is a headland in South Africa, near Cape Town, marking the turning point between the Atlantic Ocean and the Indian Ocean.
(This point is under dispute - some authorities place the division between the two oceans further east at Cape Agulhas, which is demonstrably further south.)
The Cape of Good Hope was first rounded by Portuguese navigator Bartolomeu Dias in 1488, who named it "Cape of Storms" (Cabo Tormentoso). It was later renamed by John II of Portugal as "Cape of Good Hope" (Cabo de Bõa Esperança) because of the opening of a route to the east.
The United Kingdom on January 19, 1806, occupied the Cape. It was ceded to the UK in the Anglo-Dutch Treaty of 1814 and was henceforth administered as the Cape Colony. See also History of Cape Colony.