BirthdayA birthday is the date on which a person was born. It is customary to celebrate the anniversary of one's birthday in some way, usually by having a birthday party.
People often get gifts on their birthday.
Astrological sun signs roughly correspond with birthdays.
Notable birthdays can include:
- When the most significant digit changes, for example one's 1st, 10th, 20th, 50th, or 100th birthdays.
- Jewish girls have a bat mitzvah on their 12th birthday; Jewish boys have a bar mitzvah on their 13th.
- Many girls have "sweet sixteen" birthday parties.
- In the United States, one is legally an adult on one's 18th birhday.
- In the U.S., the legal drinking age is 21; on your 21st birthday the custom is for your older friends to drag you to the bars and get you rip-roaring drunk.