William Martin Joel (born May 9, 1949), better known as Billy Joel, is a pianist, singer and songwriter.
From an early age he had an intense interest in music, especially classical music.
Influences on him include:
He joined his first band at age fourteen, and participated in many more since and also played in piano bars under the name "Bill Martin". His first major album Piano Man
was released in late 1973 and he has been releasing albums ever since. He has also toured successfully with Elton John, playing each other's songs.
Billy Joel has recently been returning to his fascination with classical music and has been experimenting in that area. His album of classical pieces got a tepid response from critics but went to Number One on the classical charts.
- "She's Got A Way" from Cold Spring Harbor
- "Piano Man" from Piano Man
- "The Ballad of Billy The Kid" from Piano Man
- "The Entertainer" from Streetlife Serenade
- "New York State of Mind" from Turnstiles
- "Only The Good Die Young" from The Stranger
- "Just The Way You Are" from The Stranger
- "My Life" from 52nd Street
- "Big Shot" from 52nd Street
- "Its Still Rock and Roll To Me" from Glass Houses
- "Miami 2017 (The Night the Lights Went Out on Broadway)" Songs in the Attic
- "We Didn't Start the Fire" from Storm Front