Basingwerk AbbeyBasingwerk Abbey is an abbey ruin near Holywell, Flintshire, Wales, in the care of CADW (Welsh Heritage).
It was founded in 1132 by the Earls of Chester, and monks from Savigny settled there. In 1147 the abbey became part of the Cistercian Order and therefore a daughter house of Buildwas Abbey in Shropshire.
In 1157 the abbey was given the manor of Glossop by King Henry II. The hilltop Monks' Road in Glossop is a reminder of the monks' efforts to administer their possession. Earlier on they had received the manor of West Kirby from the Earls of Chester.
The monks harnessed the power of the Holywell stream to run a corn mill and to treat the wool from their sheep.
Today, the abbey is part of Greenfield Valley Heritage Park.