Baptist Union of Western CanadaThe Baptist Union of Western Canada (BUWC) was formed in 1907 as the Baptist Convention of Western Canada, and adopted its present name in 1909. The Union has suffered several setbacks in its history, including the withdrawal of numerous churches in the 1920s during the fundamentalis/modernist controversy, the closing of Brandon College in 1939, and the withdrawal of the Swedish Baptists in the late 1940s. In 1944, the BUWC joined with the United Baptist Convention of the Maritimes (now Convention of Atlantic Baptist Churches) and the Baptist Convention of Ontario and Quebec to form the Canadian Baptist Federation (now Canadian Baptist Ministries).
BUWC offices are located in Calgary, Alberta, and education ministry is carried on through the Carey Theological College in Vancouver, British Columbia. The BUWC cooperates with the Evangelical Fellowship of Canada, and is a partner in Canadian Baptist Ministries. In 2003 there were 162 churches in the Union - 60 in the British Columbia Area (British Columbia & Yukon Territory), 59 in the Alberta Area, and 43 in the Heartland Area (Manitoba & Saskatchewan) - with an estimated 20,000 members.