Aqua Teen Hunger ForceAqua Teen Hunger Force
is an comedic television animated series
shown on Cartoon Network
during its Adult Swim
late night programming segment. Episodes are 15 minutes in duration. The series features three anthropomorphic fast food
items (collectively the Aqua Teen Hunger Force) whose stated purpose is to solve crimes in the state of New Jersey
. However, the show tends to rely more on interactions between the characters than on coherent plots.
The original pilot episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Rabbot, was shown on Cartoon Network on December 31, 2000. A full first season was put into production shortly thereafter, and began to be shown on September 16, 2001. To date, three seasons have been produced.
The show always opens with a glimpse at the laboratory of Dr. Weird (located on the south Jersey shore). Clinically insane, he and his assistant Steve use the first several seconds of the show to create monsters, disasters, and random silliness.
Following Dr. Weird, the theme of the show runs. It is performed by Schooly D, a noted rap artist of the 1980s. The remainder of the show is devoted to the Aqua Teens themselves.
The show's plots very rarely make sense. They are filled with lines easily made into catch phrases and rely on pure absurdity to carry the show.
The Aqua Teen Hunger Force
- Frylock: A red box of french fries, sporting a goatee, wedge shaped fries for hair, and a jewel embedded in his back. He has been known to shoot lasers from his eyes. Frylock is scientifically minded, and usually the most rational member of the team.
- Master Shake: Rude, mean-spirited, and self-centered, Master Shake (usually simply called 'Shake') is a white cup with a red straw and two yellow gloves for hands. He takes satisfaction from tormenting the simple minded Meatwad, and is most at home being conspicuously lazy watching television.
- Meatwad: A spherical mass of brown hamburger meat with a face. Lacking a brain, Meatwad is easily influenced, and usually has a childlike, simple view of the world. He has the power to change his shape into (and only into) a hot dog or a meat igloo.
- Dr. Weird: Always a part of the opening of the show, the aging Dr. Weird lives in a spooky mansion on the shores of South New Jersey. Dressed in a colorful outfit reminiscent of 1960s cartoon villians complete with glass space helmet, Dr. Weird is best described as a mad scientist. He has gone completely insane. His inventions have included a giant rabbit robot, Rabbot; Taco Island, an enormous collection of arranged tacos; and a groin antler.
- Steve, Dr. Weird's assistant. Red-haired, wearing a lab coat, and frequently holding a test tube, Steve is aware of Dr. Weird's insanity problem, but remains on as his assitant nonetheless. Steve has been the victim of corn mating and a brain transplant, among other misadventures.
- Carl, the neighbor of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Balding, overweight, and known to wear a gold chain, white tank top, sweatpants, and green sandals, Carl is not a likely candidate for dating. This is reflected in his intense interest in pornography, lack of visitors, and poor grooming. He is protective of his back yard pool, and greatly dislikes the Aqua Teens.
- The Mooninites. Appearing in several episodes, the two dimensional Mooninites, are reminiscent of Space Invaders sprites. Assured of their own bountiful coolness, they have visited the Aqua Teens and Carl to steal their and others' things, exhault their own amazingness, and attempt to corrupt the innocent Meatwad with criminal tendencies.
- M.C. Pee Pants, a demonspawn from hell, who has come back to the Earth as a rap artist.
- The idiot aliens, two spiny creatures (one green, one yellow), who have taken it upon themselves to conquer Earth, but have very little idea of how to do it. They've been know to consider Disco lighting as high security.
- Many others