AnesthesiaAnesthesia (alternative spelling Anaesthesia) is the prevention of consciousness or sensation, usually by means of chemicals known as anesthetics (alternative spelling anaesthetics). On March 30, 1842 in Jefferson, Georgia, Dr. Crawford Williamson Long was the first to use anesthesia during an operation; ether was given to his wife during childbirth.
Anesthesia can be divided into
- History of Anaesthesia society
- A medical student's guide to anaesthesia from a patient's perspective
- Gasnet, a comprehensive online resource on anesthesiology
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Patient's guides and more anesthesia-related information