- Seiwa is succeeded by Yozei as emperor of Japan.
- After the death of Louis the German, his brother Charles the Bald tries to conquer the kingdom, but is defeated. East Francia is divided between Louis's sons Louis III (northern part) and Charles the Fat (southern part).
- The Danes attack Wareham, breaking their peace treaty with Wessex.
- Exeter attacked by the Danes.
- Photius is recalled to Constantinople from banishment (approximate date).
- Henry the Fowler, king of Germany
- Louis the German, king of East Francia