- The Danes invade England and conquer East Anglia.
- Among the buildings destroyed by the Danish invaders are the abby of Ely and the monastery of Peterborough.
- 31 December: King Alfred of Wessex beats the Danes at Englefield. First of a series of battles between Wessex and the Danes.
- Malta is conquered by Arabs from Sicily.
- Treaty of Mersen: Charles the Bald and Louis the German divide Lotharingia among themselves.
- Borivoj becomes duke of Bohemia.
- Michael II succeeds Michael I as patriarch of Alexandria
- Charles the Bald marries Richilde.