- July 2 - In the early morning, Li Shimin, then Emperor Tang Taizong of China, eliminated two of his brothers, Li Yuanji and the crown prince Li Jiancheng in a coup d'etat at the Xuanwu Gate in Chang'an.
- September 4 - Emperor Tang Gaozu of Tang China abdicated in favor of his son Li Shimin.
- Byzantines defeat Avars besieging Constantinople
- Arioald succeeds his brother-in-law Adaloald as king of the Lombards (approximate date)
- Edinburgh founded by King Edwin of Northumbria
- Adaloald, king of the Lombards (approximate date)