- February 1 - John becomes Pope, succeeding Pope Boniface II, who had died in 532
- Belisarius, a general in the service of Justinian I, lands in North Africa and attacks the Vandals
- September - Battle of Ad Decimium: Belisarius defeats the Vandals under Gelimer. Gelimer, forced to flee, leaves Carthage unprotected.
- December - Battle of Ticameron: Belisarius defeats a new Vandal force under Gelimer and Tzazo. Tzazo is killed in an all-cavalry fight, and Gelimer flees to the mountains of Numidia
- December 16 - The Digesto or Pandectae, a collection of jurist writings and other sources, is completed (see Corpus Juris Civilis)