- January 11 - Michigan Territory is created.
- February 15 - Harmony Society officially formed
- April 27 - United States Marines and Berbers attack the Tripolitan city of Derna (The "shores of Tripoli").
- May 26 - In Milan's cathedral, Napoleon I of France is crowned King of Italy.
- June 1 - Luigi Boccherini was buried in Italy after being found found dead on May 28.
- October 21 - Napoleonic Wars: Battle of Trafalgar - British naval fleet led by Admiral Lord Nelson defeats a combined French and Spanish off the coast of Spain.
- June - War ends between Tripoli and the United States of America.
- Sweden declares war on France
- Lewis and Clark Expedition sets out across North America
- March 3 - Jonas Furrer, Swiss politician and first President of the Swiss Confederation (+ 1861)
- April 2 - Hans Christian Andersen, writer (+ 1875)
- November 14 - Fanny Mendelssohn, composer and pianist
- December 25 - Joseph Smith, Jr, religious leader, founded Mormonism