1777Centuries: 17th century - 18th century - 19th century
- The Cornish language died out
- 2nd edition of Encyclopædia Britannica published
- January 3 - American general George Washington defeats British general Charles Cornwallis at the Battle of Princeton.
- January 12 - Mission Santa Clara de Asís is founded in what is now Santa Clara, California
- January 16 - Vermont declares its independence from New York becoming an independent country, a status it retained until it joined the United States as the 14th state in 1791
- June 14, Stars and Stripes adopted by Congress as United States flag
- August 16 - American Revolutionary War: Battle of Bennington - British forces are defeated by American troops.
- September 3 - The Flag of the United States flies in battle for the first time, at Cooch's Bridge in Maryland.
- October 17, American troops defeat the British in the Battle of Saratoga
- November 15, U.S. Continental Congress approves the Articles of Confederation
- December 24, Kiritimati discovered by James Cook
- The code duello is adopted at the Clonmell Summer Assizes as the form for pistol duels in Ireland. It is quickly denounced and widely adopted throughout the English-speaking world.
- January 2, Christian Daniel Rauch, sculptor (+ 1857)
- February 12, Friedrich de la Motte Fouque, poet (+ 1843)
- March 17 - Roger Taney, Chief Justice of the United States (+ 1864)
- April 12, Henry Clay, american statesman (+ 1852)
- April 30, Carl Friedrich Gauss, mathematician, astronomer and physicist
- August 14 - Hans Christian Ørsted, physicist and chemist
- December 4, Madame Récamier, writer
- December 23 - Emperor Alexander I of Russia