- January 9 - Philip Astley stages the first modern circus (London).
- May 10 - John Wilkes is imprisoned for writing an article for the The North Briton severely criticizing King George III. This action provokes rioting in London.
- January 7 - Joseph Bonaparte, King of Naples and Spain (+ 1844)
- January 28 - King Frederick VI of Denmark
- February 12 - Francis II, Holy Roman Emperor (+ 1835)
- March 4 - August Friedrich Wilhelm Holtzhausen, engineer (+ 1827).
- March 21 - Jean Baptiste Joseph Fourier, French mathematician and physicist
- May 17 - Caroline of Brunswick, Queen-Consort of King George IV of the United Kingdom
- May 20 - Dolley Madison, First Lady of the United States (+ 1849)
- November 21 - Friedrich Schleiermacher, German theologian