- The Burmese invasion reaches the Thai capital of Ayutthaya, razing it.
- North Carolina woodsman Daniel Boone goes through the Cumberland Gap and reaches Kentucky - in defiance of a decree from King George III. He discovers a rich hunting ground, contested by several 'Indian' tribes.
- American Whalers venture into the Antarctic for the first time, and begin to commercially exploit it.
- Jean Jacques Rousseau settles in England.
- The final volume of The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy by Laurence Stern is published.
- March 15 - Andrew Jackson, later 7th President of the United States.
- July 11 - John Quincy Adams, later 6th President of the United States.