- January 26 - Stanislaus I of Poland abdicates his throne.
- May 8 - Marriage of Frederick, Prince of Wales and Augusta of Saxe-Gotha.
- May 26 - Battle of Ackia: British and Chickasaw Native Americans defeat French troops.
- January 19 - James Watt, builder of steam engines
- February 29 - Ann Lee(s), founder of the Shaker religion
- May 29 - Patrick Henry, American patriot
- China - Qianlong Emperor of China, Qing Dynasty (reigned from October 18, 1735 to February 9, 1796)
- France - Louis XV King of France (reigned from 1715 to 1774)
- Great Britain - George II King of Great Britain (reigned from June 11, 1727 to October 25, 1760)
- Saxony - Frederick Augustus II Elector of Saxony (from 1733 to 1763) (also King of Poland)