- February 11 - Sweden and Prussia sign the (2nd Treaty of Stockholm) declaring peace.
- February 29 - Queen Ulrike Eleonora of Sweden resigns.
- The Tuscarora fled North Carolina as a result of European colonisation
- Edmond Halley appointed Astronomer Royal
- The Academia Real da Historia is founded in Lisbon, Portugal
- May 11 - Karl Friedrich Hieronymus Freiherr von Münchhausen, officer and adventurer (+ 1797)
- December 31 - Bonnie Prince Charlie of Great Britain, later leader of Jacobitism.
- Emperor Sakuramachi of Japan