- August 1 - George, elector of Hanover becomes King George I of Great Britain.
- September 11 - Barcelona surrenders to Spanish and French Borbonic armies in the Spanish Succession War.
- The Duchy of Savoy and Piedmont becomes the Kingdom of Sardinia
- Natchitoches is established by by Louis Juchereau de St. Denis as the first permanent settlement in what would become the Louisiana Purchase of 1803.
- Worcester College, Oxford University founded. Formerly Gloucester College, closed during the dissolution of monastries.
- January 6 - Percivall Pott, London surgon
- March 8 - Carl Philipp Emmanuel Bach, composer, not to be confused with his father Johann Sebastian Bach (+ 1788)
- July 2 - Christoph Willibald Gluck, composer
- September 10 - Niccolò Jommelli, composer (+ 1774)
- October 16 - Giovanni Arduino, geologist