- January 1 - Russia accepts Julian calendar.
- January 1 - in around this year, Germany and Denmark-Norway adopt the Gregorian calendar, including the convention that New Year's Day is January 1st.
- January 26 - Massive earthquake hits British Columbia.
- February 27 - The island of New Britain is discovered.
- November 20 - Swedes defeat Russians at the Battle of Narva.
- Vietnamese gain control of entire Indochina peninsula.
- The Great Northern War begins when Russia, Denmark and Saxon/Poland make a coordinated attack on Sweden (to 1721)
- Control of Spain passes from the Habsburgs to the Bourbonss
- February 9 - Daniel Bernoulli, mathematician
- May 26 - Nicolaus Ludwig Zinzendorf (+ 1760)
- Klemens August of Bavaria