- Christopher Polhem starts Sweden's first technical school.
- The royal castle ´Tre Kronor´ in Stockholm burns to the ground. A large portion of the royal library is destroyed.
- Karl XII of Sweden is crowned king at the age of 15.
- Tayassal, capital of the Peten Itza Maya, the last independent Mesoamerican state, is conquered by Spain
- The Manchu Empire conquers western Mongolia
- September 20 - The Treaty of Ryswick
- March 9 - Friederike Caroline Neuber, actress (+ 1760)
- August 6 - Charles VII, Holy Roman Emperor
- October 7 - Canaletto (Giovanni Antonio Canale), Italian artist
- November 10 - William Hogarth, English artist
- Karl XI of Sweden dies of stomach cancer.
- January 8 - Thomas Aikenhead hanged for blasphemy, near Edinburgh, Scotland.