- The English Test Act was passed. It disallowed Catholics from holding high public office.
- March 18 - John Berkeley, 1st Baron Berkeley of Stratton sells his part of New Jersey to the Quakers.
- May 17 - Trader Louis Joliet and Jesuit missionary-explorerJacques Marquette begin exploring the Mississippi River and the Great Lakes.
- Father Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet discover the Mississippi River
- The Kabuki actor Sannjuro Ichikawa, aged 13, invents the Aragato style, which features the Superman war-god.
- Jean Lully writes his first opera, Cadmus et Hermoine
- The Dutch retake New York
- William of Orange saves Amsterdam and the province of Holland from the French by opening the Sluice gates and flooding the country!