- February 23 - Charles XI becomes king of Sweden.
- March 16 - The Long Parliament disbands
- May 8 - The Parliament of England declares Prince Charles Stuart King Charles II of England.
- May 23 - King Charles II of England reaches the shores of his Kingdom.
- May 29 - King Charles II of England arrives in London and assumes the throne.This marks the beginning of the English Restoration.
- Blaise Pascal's The Provincial Letters, a defense of the Jansenist Antoine Arnauld, was ordered shredded and burned by King Louis XIV of France.
- January - Pierre Helyot, French historian
- February 19 - Friedrich Hoffmann, physician and chemist (+ 1742)
- April 16 - Hans Sloane, British physician
- May 2 - Alessandro Scarlatti, Italian composer (+ 1725)
- May 28 - George I, King of Great Britain (+ 1727)
- September - Daniel Defoe, British writer (Robinson Crusoë)
- December 4 - André Campra, French composer
- Andreas Schlueter, Polish sculptor and architect