- March 14 - Thirty Years War: Bavaria, Cologne, France and Sweden sign the Treaty of Neutrality.
- August 8 - The Battle of Dangan Hill, Irish forces are defeated by British Parliamentary forces
- Johann von Werth tried to take his troops over the Austrian border, but they refused.
- Castle of Aberystwyth razed to the ground by Parliamentarian troops
- August: Army marches to London
- December 28, Charles promises church reform. This agreement led to the Second English Civil War
- August 22 - Denis Papin, inventor of the piston steam engine
- Henry Aldrich, English theologian and philosopher