- February 22 - Native American Quadequine introduces Popcorn to English colonists
- July 6 - Swedish troops under Gustavus Adolphus land in Germany.
- July 8 - The Massachusetts Bay Colony celebrates its first Thanksgiving Day.
- September 17 - The city of Boston, Massachusetts is founded.
- Johann Heinrich Alsted's Encyclopaedia is published.
- The first account of the Childes Tomb story is published.
- Paramaribo, Suriname is first settled by the British
- Willem Drost, Baroque painter and printmaker
- May 29 - Charles II, future king of England, Scotland, and Ireland
- October 14 - Sophia of Hanover, later heir to the throne of Great Britain.