- Spanish establish a trading colony on Taiwan.
- Dutch traders purchase Manhattan from the Canarsee Indians.
- Work begins on building the sailing ship Vasa.
- The Duchy of Urbino is incorporated into the Papal States.
- The English Parliament impeach George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham, favorite of Charles I of England.
- Charles I dissolves Parliament.
- October 4 - Richard Cromwell, later Lord Protector of England, Scotland and Ireland.
- December 18 - Princess Christina Alexandra Vasa, later Queen Christina of Sweden.