- March 20 - The Dutch East India Company is established as The United East India Company by the Dutch States-General
- May 15 - Bartolomew Gosnold becomes the first European to discover Cape Cod.
- June - James Lancaster's East India Company fleet arrives at Achin, Sumatra to deal with the local ruler. Having defeated Portugal's ally, the ruler is happy to do business, and Lancaster seizes a large Portuguese Galleon and loots it.
- The Netherlands begins establishing itself as ruler of Indonesia.
- Ben Jonson writes Poetaster
- William Shakespeare writes The Merry Wives of Windsor