- April 14 - Battle of Mookerheyde. Spanish forces under Sancho de Avila defeat the rebel forces of Louis of Nassau. Louis is killed.
- May 30 - On the death of King Charles IX of France, he is succeeded by his brother King Henry of Poland, who becomes King Henry III. His mother, Catherine de Medici, acts as Regent until Henry arrives from Poland.
- October 3 - The city of Leyden, besieged by the Spanish, is relieved by a Sea Beggar fleet under Louis Boisot.
- Murad III succeeds Selim II as Sultan of the Ottoman Empire.
- October 14 - Princess Anne of Denmark, later wife of King James VI of Scotland and Queen of Scotland and England