1563Centuries: 15th century - 16th century - 17th century
- February 18 - The Duke of Guise is assassinated while besieging Orleans
- March - Peace of Amboise. Negotiated between the Prince of Condé and Anne de Montmorency, it accords some toleration to the Huguenots, especially to aristocrats. The combined Huguenot and royal armies then march north to besiege the English in Le Havre
- July 28 - The English surrender Le Havre to the French after a siege.
- December 14 - Official closing of the Council of Trent (opened 1545)
- February 18 - Francis, Duke of Guise, French military and political leader, head of the ultra-Catholic faction.