- May 10 - Jacques Cartier explores Newfoundland while searching for the Northwest Passage.
- July 7 - First known exchange between Europeans and natives of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, in New Brunswick.
- Cambridge University Press given Royal Charter by Henry VIII
- Henry VIII angry at the Pope's refusal to grant divorce from Catherine of Aragon Henry declares himself Supreme Head of the English church a.k.a. the Anglican Church or Church of England
- Publication of Gargantua by Francois Rabelais
- The Anabaptists seize control of Münster
- Correggio - Italian painter