- Europe's population was ~60 million. (Spielvogel)
- January 5 - Duke Ludovico Sforza recaptures Milan, but is soon driven out again by the French
- January 26 - Vicente Yáńez Pinzón become the first European to discover Brazil.
- April 22 - Portuguese navigator Pedro Alvares Cabral becomes the first European to sight Brazil.
- November 11 - Treaty of Granada - Louis XII of France and Ferdinand II of Aragon agree to divide the Kingdom of Naples between them.
- Pedro Alvares Cabral claims Brazil for Portugal
- Emperor Go-Kashiwabara ascends to the throne of Japan
- Battle of Hemmingstedt: The Danish army fails to conquer the peasants' republic of Dithmarschen
- Second Battle of Lepanto - The Turkish fleet of Kemal Re'is defeats the Venetians. The Turks proceed to capture Modon, Lepanto, and Koron.
- Spielvogel -- Western Civilization -- Volume II: Since 1500 (5th Edition), p.401